Monday, 20 August 2012

Monkey business

Last week I became addicted to a site I have used for some time, but never really used to its full potential - pinterest.com. After making the effort to sort out my "boards", I now proudly display things I want to make, eat, buy and wear. It is a great place to keep track of all the guides I find online for making crafty things, but never seem to have the time to make! It is also a good place for grouping together things for my dream home, which I'm hoping to buy within the next 12-18 months. Speaking of which, I cannot wait to move. I'm in a two bedroom property at the moment which is perfect for my son and I, but if you bring a third adult in to the equation it would just be too small. I haven't even mentioned my fabric habit and breeding scrap collections! When we buy our new house we will make sure there is space for my own crafting room, so no more working from the lounge. Hurray!

Anyway, I digress. You can see my Pinterest boards by going to www.pinterest.com/simplydivine1 and you can choose to follow everything I post, or posts within specific categories. I really do recommend it for inspiration and sharing ideas. It has also inspired me to get into refashioning clothes. While I have had osteitis pubis, I have gained two clothes sizes. Going for a perfect 10-12 to a 16 is a big shock to the system, and what is worse is that I cannot wear all my beautiful clothes (and believe me I have a lot!). I am reluctant to buy more clothes as now I am starting to recover and increase activity, I hope that the weight will drop off me. Luckily I have clothes that I always wore as baggy with a belt to nip in the waist, so I have continued to wear these. I am normally so girly. I love skirts and dresses and spent a lot of time in this type of clothing. Deep down I still am, so the boring clothes I now own in bigger sizes need a revamp. In a previous blog I decorated a dress with appliques, but after finding all these people on Pinterest who refashion regularly, I have learned that it can get so much better than that! There is a girl here http://refashionista.net/ who refashions all the time. She shows you what can be done with a little imagination and a sewing machine, to items found in charity shops. It was this girl who made me want to go out and buy an old fashioned long skirt with buttons down the front (the kind you can find in abundance in charity shops!). Read her blog to find out how even those can be made fashionable! I have started on redesigning two black tops that are tshirt material but with polo necks. Once I have done them I will share what/how I've done. So, in a nutshell, get on Pinterest!


A few weeks ago I took on an order to make basket liners. Under normal circumstances these would be fairly simply to make, except I wanted to make them two layered. I kind of used this pattern http://projectsbyjess.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/basket-liners.html, except the basket I was making them for needed to be really wide at the part that folded over the top. Instead of doing two sides gradually getting wider, they had to be straight up the sides and then suddenly get wide. Even this though shouldn't have caused many problems. The main issue was my sewing machine breaking! It took me three whole days (10am until 11pm) to hand sew the liners. I never wanted to see a needle and thread ever again! I do a lot of hand sewing and am quick and neat with it, but even this did not help. In the end it all turned out ok, and while giving the liners a final run over with the iron, I felt bursting with pride! This is how they turned out, so what do you think?















I also did a light switch plate to match which I thought looked fantastic, but I'll let you be the judge of that. Once again Blogger has decided to turn my picture on its side!

As a regular reader of Craftseller magazine, I always get free craft papers with it every month. As someone who has only tried to work with paper once in the past and failed miserably, I have been giving the papers to my mum who makes her own cards. I have been thinking more and more about getting involved with paper, and I think where I went wrong was that I tried to integrate it with my style, which is purely designed for fabric crafts. I bought some little craft knives a few weeks ago for making the light switches, and I have 14 6 x 4" frames that are empty, so I printed out the words Home Sweet Home and plan to cut it and use my decorative papers. I'll let you know how I get on with that. If it works I may start getting more involved with paper cuts and start designing my own. I don't think I will ever be able to compete with some of the amazing ones I see on Facebook or Etsy.

Last Friday I went to Knowsley Safari Park with my son and partner. For anyone who is able to get there, you absolutely MUST go! Despite it raining for a bit, we had the most amazing day. How close you get to all the animals is just unreal. My partner even decided he would risk his car through the baboon enclosure. There are lots of horror stories of windscreen wipers being expertly removed and we did see a few on the floor! Here are a couple of photos to show you how cheeky they are!

 As you can see, they did have a go at a windscreen wiper! I did not stop laughing all the way round. They were just so naughty!















Anyway, I shall call it quits for now. One more thing before I go though. Tomorrow I am being let loose in a Cath Kidston shop! I'm fit to burst with excitement as I have never been in one of their stores. I'm only going because I need some fabric and can't wait for delivery from online. I will have to curb my spending in there and leave my credit cards at home! For those who can't get to one of their stores, you can shop their new ranges at Cathkidston.co.uk. They have some amazing new things in.

Speak soon x

No comments:

Post a Comment